- Polymyositis and dermatomyositis occur in about one person per 100,000.
- All ages can get these diseases.
- Weakness in the large muscles around the neck, shoulders and hips.
- Myopathy almost always causes loss of muscle strength.
- Some patients also have rashes or breathing problems, or both.
- Treatment is most often effective. Following your doctor’s treatment plan is key to having a good outcome.
The two inflammatory myopathies include polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Muscle inflammation and weakness occur in both conditions while patients with dermatomyositis also have a rash. Proper diagnosis and treatment raise the chance of living life fully despite this illness.
For more information: